Send the USM Advanced Trumpet Ensemble to Nationals!
The University of Southern Mississippi Advanced Trumpet Ensemble received notification in late January of its selection to compete in the Live Rounds at The National Trumpet Competition to be held at The University of Kentucky in March. This national competition is USM’s first entry since 2015.
“This ensemble has been working together since the beginning of the fall semester. After a great deal of preparation of Anthony Plog’s Suite for Six Trumpets, we held a video recording session in Marsh Auditorium in mid-December to record our application submission, and the students and I were beside ourselves with excitement upon learning that we had advanced to the live competition. I’m constantly blown away by the level of musicianship, collegiality, and drive of these students, and it’s truly an honor to help guide them along such an incredible journey!” said Timothy Tesh, Assistant Professor of Trumpet at USM and the ensemble’s musical director.
Comprised of six students from The University of Southern Mississippi School of Music, at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, the Advanced Trumpet Ensemble will be competing against other university trumpet ensembles from some of the most prestigious music schools in the nation.
Dayvison Costa, a member of the Advanced Trumpet Ensemble and graduate assistant for the Southern Miss Trumpet Studio, will also be competing as a soloist in the Graduate Solo Division.
Advanced Trumpet Ensemble members include (pictured above, from left to right):
- Dayvison Costa, from Limeira, Brazil, a first-year, Master of Music, Graduate Assistant for Trumpet Studio
- Erin Beard, from Port Angeles, Wash., a first-year, Master of Music, Graduate Assistant for Jazz Studies
- Chase Mitchell, from Lucedale, Miss., a junior majoring in Music Education
- Johnathan Evans, from d’Iberville, Miss., a freshman majoring in Music Education
- Caleb Guilbeau, from Ellisville, Miss., a senior majoring in Music Performance/Music Education (double major)
- Matthew Soderberg, from Salem, Va., a sophomore majoring in Music Education
Funds raised by this campaign will be used to assist with trip expenses such as: providing ground transportation for the ensemble, lodging at the event, entry fees for both the ensemble and Mr. Costa, collaborative piano fees, etc. Thank you so very much for your support!! Southern Miss, TO THE TOP!!!